Nice weather has arrived, which means it is time our patios and decks come back to life. These spaces allow us to enjoy the company of friends in long summer evenings, which is why it is important to provide them with the proper lighting.
Efficient lighting means savings in the electrical bill, considering that, for example, LED bulbs or lamps with COB integrated LED plates will consume much less electricity.
Here are some tips to properly light our patios and terraces:
1) Define your budget and decorative style
2) Measure the spaces that need lighting and define the critical points where there would be a need for reinforcing the light. Remember that garden lamps must be IP44 or higher to insure their life cycle in exterior applications as well as the safety of the installation.
3) The usefulness of the system is also important and, for that reason, we must consider the switches and the possibility of turning the lights on and off comfortably. A nice option are sensors or automatic mechanisms to facilitate their use.
4) For general lighting, we distribute the areas and define them, and then it is time to pick the kind of lamp or the color of the light to have a clear purpose.
5) The critical areas may be access points, pathways, steps or windows. Those that for safety reasons need extra lighting.
6) For access points, we must use direct lighting, which can be accomplished using spotlights.
7) For pathways, beacons or floor-recessed lights allow us to define the area and avoid people falling or tripping along them.
8) For general lighting, we can use sconces and recessed wall lamps, as well as some pendant lamps to distribute light homogeneously.
9) For decorative lighting of trees, flowers or fountains, spike lamps provide focused lighting that can be aimed at the object in question.
10) In addition, we can consider some versatile elements, such as floor lamps or portable lamps that allow us to change the lighting and adapt it to the different needs of the occasion. For example, the CAT portable lamp can be used for a romantic dinner or a fun party with friends.
Now we can enjoy our decks until well into the night without worrying about the light. Let us have a wonderful time in our decks!